Monday Camden was jumping on the trampoline and I saw him from the waist up and watched him fall. He instantly starting screaming. He barely got an inch or two off the trampoline with his bounce, so I was surprised he was so upset. I mean, he was still on the trampoline, he didn't fall off or anything. I ran over to him and tried to stand him up to see what was wrong and his whole body was shaking saying he hurt his knee. It took him awhile to calm down and we kept waiting to see bruising or swelling, but never did. He wouldn't put any weight on it and although I knew it was sore, I really didn't think he could have hurt it that badly. So, later in the night he was awake about every hour complaining that it hurt. I knew it hurt him, but with no swelling or anything I wondered if he was babying his leg or if he really was in that much pain. The next day Carl and Aunt Betty took him into the dr.'s for an x-ray and later after speaking to the radiologist they referred us to Ozark Orthopedic. He said that he saw something just below the knee and it was a possible fracture. So, as the nurse is talking to us the next day she says, "Was he by chance on the trampoline with another child?" Our answer, "Yes." He was with his cousin William.
When Dr. Grammer came in he said he did a study on this and it's what they call a "Trampoline Fracture." He said when you're on the trampoline with another child 10 yrs. of age or younger it basically turns the trampoline mat into concrete. Imagine another childs weight and Camden bounced once. When he came back down from his bounce it still has the additional weight from the other child essentially him falling as hard as he would have onto concrete. They go against each other and that's what causes the brake or fracture. It makes so much sense. We couldn't figure out what in the world he could have done to be in so much pain. So, they put him in a cast for the next 3 weeks and then we'll go back and take more x-rays. The brake wasn't bad at all, but just below the knee in his tibia bone. The nurses were wonderful and were talking to him the entire time about Jason Aldean. One of the other nurses made good friends with him because she said she had an autographed cowboy hat with his name all over it and she even got to hug him! Camden thought that was pretty cool. One of the nurses let him choose which color of cast and he said, "Mama, I want black." Black seems to be his newest favorite color these days. Maybe because his cowboy boots and his cowboy hat are both black?? I don't know... haha! I tried talking him into blue, or red or something but Black it is!
It was a really rough night though. I don't think he's in a terrible amount of pain, but it's more uncomfortable than anything. It's actually pretty heavy since it goes all the way up his leg so it was hard for him to get comfortable. He was up every hour. I think I may sleep in his room for now until he gets used to it. He's doing great though, coloring, watching cartoons and movies. He was very brave. I was proud of how great he did getting it on. He won't be able to walk until it's off, but the Dr. said if he tries to put weight on it after the first few weeks, it's okay. He'll know what he's comfortable with. I'll give you all more updates as the weeks progress...
He was fine once he got some Halloween candy last night!
No comments:
Post a Comment